Best Forearm Workouts at Home with Dumbbells
By Born Tough on
Forearms are one of the most underrated groups of muscles that most people forget to develop while working on other parts of the body. They are as important to build as other muscles in your body are. So, don’t forget to train them.
These muscles are key when it comes to carrying things, opening glass jars, or dealing with other daily life tasks. Working on forearms always helps in increasing grip strength, which is the key to upper body strength.
Using dumbbells is considered an effective way to build these muscles rapidly. There are different workouts that you can do at home, both with and without dumbbells.
Table of Contents
- Why Do I Need to Work on Forearms?
- Can I Work on My Forearms at Home, Is it Possible?
- Do I Essentially Need to Have Dumbbells for Forearm Workouts?
- What Are the Best Forearm Workouts I Can Perform with Dumbbells?
In this article, you will learn in detail about forearm exercises with dumbbells at home that will help you get your forearms strong without having to visit a gym.
Why Do I Need to Work on Forearms?
According to fitness and conditioning specialist Alex Tauberg, forearm strength is very important for functional activities. If you have strong forearms, you can easily perform your day-to-day tasks, including carrying weights and dealing with jar openings or turning bolts at home.
Apart from daily tasks, even if you train in a gym, having strong forearms is essential to gripping training gear and performing tougher workouts. Most of the gym exercises involve holding or lifting weights in some way that targets your forearm muscle in one way or another. Having strong forearms means having a strong grip, which is the requirement of most exercises. These are some reasons that require you to work on your forearms.
Can I Work on My Forearms at Home, Is it Possible?
If you have some gym gear like dumbbells, a pull-up bar, and mats at home, these can help build your forearm strength at home. However, to do forearm workouts at home with dumbbells or without them in the proper way, you must take advantage of video instructional of the workouts that you want to do for forearm muscle development.
Everyone likes to workout according to their own choices and availability of time. However, going to a gym for forearm exercises can be beneficial in a number of ways. For example, you get better supervision and assistance in case you make any mistakes or face problems in doing your workouts.
Therefore, most fitness experts recommend visiting gyms for such exercises, but it solely depends on your willingness to either do forearm workouts at home or go to the gym.
Read More: Top 6 Exercises You Can Do at Home
Do I Essentially Need to Have Dumbbells for Forearm Workouts?
There are multiple ways to build forearm muscles with and without weights. Therefore, it might not be an obligation for you to have dumbbells in your workout gear collection, essentially.
However, having them in your arsenal will be beneficial in a number of ways. They are small and suitable for a number of forearm exercises at home. Apart from building forearm muscles, they are also effective for burning calories and increasing metabolism.
According to recent research held by the American Council on Exercise (ACE), forearm exercises with dumbbells cause no injury besides helping your muscles grow and improve stability and flexibility in them.
What Are the Best Forearm Workouts I Can Perform with Dumbbells?
Here are some of the best forearm exercises that you can do with dumbbells or weights at home:
Dumbbell Wrist Curls
Dumbbell wrist curls are one of the best-known forearm workouts that you can do at home without facing any trouble. To achieve these curls, follow the steps below:
- Sit on a chair or bench, holding moderately heavy dumbbells in both of your hands.
- Place your forearms on thighs while keeping your wrists on top of your knees with palms facing down or up.
- Slowly lower the weights as much as you can. While doing so keep your grip tight on weights and you should be moving your hands only.
- Curl the weights up as much as you can.
- You should be doing at least 3 sets of 12 reps or you can prolong this exercise until your muscles are done for.
- You can do this exercise with one hand at a time as well.
Rear Fronted Rotations
Rear-front rotations with dumbbells is another beneficial forearm workout that you can do at home. The right way to perform this workout is:
- Get two lightweight dumbbells with a normal hand position.
- Slide your little finger towards the end of your dumbbells.
- Now rotate the dumbbell to your forearm by moving the button end of it forwards and upwards with the help of your lower arm muscles.
- At the start keep it light and step forward to moderate and high reps.
- Performing 2 to 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps will be an ideal start.
Dumbbell Drag Curls
Dumbbell drag curls are beneficial not only for building biceps brachii, but they are also effective for strengthening forearm muscles. Unlike the regular drag curls, they make sure that both of your arms are getting equal work. They are easy to perform and their intensity can be increased with time and improvement in your training.
Follow the following steps to perform these drag curls at home to strengthen your forearm muscles.
- Hold two dumbbells in your both hands by your sides with an underhand grip.
- Drag the dumbbells up by moving them towards your shoulders.
- Now squeeze your biceps when they press up against the inner sides of your forearms.
- Lower dumbbells under control to the limits where you feel your arms are fully locked.
- Do 3 to 4 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
The other effective workout that you can do at home with the help of dumbbells is grip crush. You can perform it this way:
- Get seated on a chair, rest your left wrist on your knee or on a flat surface while holding a dumbbell.
- Open your hand to let the dumbbell roll towards your fingertips.
- Then tighten your hand to roll the dumbbell upwards by curling your wrists up while squeezing the dumbbells as tight as possible you can do.
To end your forearm dumbbell workouts, farmer’s walks are one of the best ways to go. With the help of this workout, you can effectively increase your grip strength.
Here is how you should be performing a farmer's walk.
- Hold a pair of dumbbells while positioning your hands by your sides.
- Hold dumbbells firmly but do not tighten your grip too much. Also, keep the handles of dumbbells in your palms.
- Walk with dumbbells for the duration of 30 to 60 seconds.
- You can repeat this exercise 3 to 4 times and can increase the weight too.
"This article is originally posted on borntough.com, and borntough.com own the sole copyright on this article. If you read this article outside borntough.com, please report this website to the authority because they have stolen the content from borntough.com and violated borntough copyright"